1. Laptop, case, charger, headphones: download a movie on your laptop before you leave and don't forget the headphones!
2. Good book: right now I'm reading "Grit" by Angela Duckworth about why some people succeed and some people fail. Click here for a list of my favorites!
3. Bullet journal: my sister got me into bullet journaling this year and safe to say I am now obsessed. Get yourself a dot journal and some nice pens and let your creative side go to town! It can be whatever you want, there's really no rules, make it work for you.
4. Believe I Am training journal: this is where I organize, plan, and review my training. I do this separately from my bullet journal because Lauren Fleshman and Roisin McGettigan have masterfully created this journal filled with motivational quotes, pages to organize your goals, and other pro tips. There is something about putting pen to paper and writing out your training that just feels so good.
5. Passport, of course! This bad boy has taken me to some great places. Check out a map of the countries I've been to thus far.
Fuel and Hydration
1. Water bottle: ask the flight attendant to refill for you during the flight instead of those dinky little cups because hydration is key! 💧💧💧
2. Fruits/veggies that travel well: my favorites are apples, oranges, carrot sticks, and grapes. 🍏 🍊 🍇
3. Electrolyte packets: whatever the brand, get some that you can pop into your water bottle.
4. Dry snacks: trail mix and pretzel sticks (my favs) will help you avoid buying overpriced junk food in a hangry state at the airport or gas station.
5. Your favorite bar: I usually try to make some homemade ones before hitting the road, but if I buy them, Picky Bars are my favorite! Made by runners for runners with real food ingredients and none of the bad stuff. 👍🏻
Sleep, Hygiene, Recovery
1. The sleep essentials: neck pillow, eye mask, ear plugs, sleeping pills (just over-the-counter ones like ZzzQuil)
2. Deodorant and body spray/perfume: because everybody sweats. Also great to overpower the stench of the man next to you's BO! 😷
3. Face wipes: I don't know about you, but my skin gets so oily when I travel and I end up breaking out! These are great to have on hand when you land and want to feel refreshed and clean. ☺️ 🙌🏼
4. Hand sanitizer: don't be shy with this, you are touching so many things other people have touched when you travel and putting yourself at risk for getting sick. Use generously and frequently. 💦
5. Roll Recovery R3: I love rolling out my feet while sitting on the plane and using it for my calves and hamstrings once I arrive. Its small and light, but so versatile! A must-have.